Scholfield, Dr. William
William Scholfield was born in Salem, Ohio on March 7, 1810. When he first came to Wisconsin in 1856 he located near Mineral Point and bought a farm, and one day went to what is now Schofield to get lumber to fence the farm. With his friend Captain Lombard, he bought a saw mill which he operated for some time.
He was married in Joliet, Illinois on October 28, 1852 to Mary S. Hazeltine, originally from Canaseraga, Allegheny County, NY. Their marriage gave them five children. He was an able doctor and surgeon in Joliet from 1830 to 1847, at which time he moved to Shullsberg, WI. William Scholfield was a farmer, a doctor and a lumberman. He was also elected Steven’s Point first mayor and was re-elected to a second term.
William Scholfield was really the founder of the village of Schofield. While others built the dam and the saw mill and operated the mill for a few years, there had been no attempt to lay out a village. There was a boarding house and a few shanties that housed the workers. Dr Schofield laid out the village, erected homes, established a store, and built necessary shops to keep his mill in good operating condition. He was the first man to introduce the rotary saw in the Pinery.
Dr. Scholfield died on December 16, 1863 and is buried in Pine Grove Cemetery in Wausau, WI.
Pioneer Lumberman & Founder City of Schofield