Kelly, Village of
T. 28 N. - R. 8 E., Sec. 15 &16, Township of Weston
See Milo Kelly Biography
Beginning with Native Americans and continuing with fur traders, Kelly's history evolved into the location of Kelly's Mill, owned by Milo Kelly, on the Eau Claire River . Kelly later built a second dam and mill along the Eau Claire giving rise to the community crossroads.
First Public Official:
Milo Kelly was the owner of Kelly's Mills in Section 15 of the township. He marked out the area for his mill in 1850. With his death in 1870, ownership of the mill passed to his sons Nathaniel and William.
Post Office Established:
About The Post Office:
Originally called Weston, the name was changed to Kelly's Mills, January 29, 1864. Located in Section 15 of the township, the P.O .was discontinued February 27, 1866. There was also a P.O. named Kelley, established December 2, 1881 with Charles H. Kelly (relative ?) as postmaster and located slightly north of Kelly's Mills in the SW 1/4, Section 9. It was discontinued September 30, 1902 with service from Wausau.
Fairly regular services were held for Presbyterians in the Lower Kelly school in Section 14 as early as 1882. John Ross donated an acre of land and $1000 to build a chapel that was completed and used after 1884.
Presbyterian church,a mission church of the First Presbyterian Church of Wausau, built in 1895.
See Weston Township
Kelly Saloon, which was owned by the Gusemans (also spelled Gusman) in 1911, was moved from Kelly to Callon, later to Ringle and finally back to Kelly.
Manser office and store
Smithy - the original smithy was built near the creamery by a Mr. Brown
Kelly's Mills record books go back to May 10, 1857. Upon Milo's death in 1870 and transfer to his sons Nathaniel and William, there was a later sale to B. E. Jones and then to his son-in-law John Manser. In 1901, Manser owned the mill on the site adjacent to the bridge on Ross Avenue crossing the Eau Claire River. The mill ceased to exist sometime after the flood of 1912 destroyed the dam on the site which is part of the River Pines sub-division in Weston.
A creamery was built in 1910 by Joseph Minton and stood 150 feet south of the river.
The sign on the train depot read "Kellys" (plural not possessive). According to the Weston Centennial booklet, the name came from the 3 brothers prominent in the early settlement of Kelly. In later years, the "S" was dropped and the singular adopted.